I am the best
"I am the best, I am the best", everyone of google, microsoft and yahoo trying to cope up with each other with new innovations day by day. Ofcourse there is search (keyword, context based, images, videos blah blah) but lets not see to it since one aspect of it involves much technical knowledge while the other one that whose results are better everyone knows which one to use when:)
So, lets start from mail
But one thing was common in all of them was Advertisements. While they provided free mail services but they were full of side or top banners or google ads.
Hotmail is sort of out of mail except the old users. While the battle has narrowed to yahoo mail vs Gmail. While Google search feature in emails is superior to Yahoo's but the image browsing or even playing with images in Yahoo is incomparable.
Then came the instant messengers (IM's)...
Google with the launch of Gtalk has joined the long battle of MSN vs YM. So now its MSN vs YM vs GTalk.GTalk provides very few features but the simplicity, low CPU usage and Voice over IP feature simply rock in it. YM with the latest release of YM with voice provides VOIP feature with a hell lot of features similar to MSN. But AFAIK most people still use MSN, then comes YM and lastly is Gtalk.
Then are the Maps and earth's (:P)..
All three are boating here too. Yahoo while is only in the field of maps with Maps.yahoo.com
Google and Microsoft are into earth too. While google's earth is awesome and the view it provides is simply superb, MSN alternative is not bad too (may be an underdog, lets wait and see). Look at some images and the features it will be providing here.
Google - maps.google.com, earth.google.com
Yahoo - maps.yahoo.com
MSN - virtualearthinfo.msn.com, mappoint.msn.com
While Personalized Homepages or so called "My" space/yahoo/blog etc..
Google was first to launch blogging with blogger. Yahoo was first for providing My yahoo kind of stuff where one can add a lot of other features and a lot of facilities too. But lately all 3 of them provide the complete package of Personalized pages inbuilt with image managers (even blogging too), rss readers and anything build in with attracting and easy to use GUI's (even with drag and drop features).
Google - http://www.google.com/ig, blogger, hello, picasa
Microsoft - Msn spaces, start.com
Yahoo - yahoo 360, my.yahoo.com
1) Toolbars - everyone of them has their own toolbars nearly providing the same features.
2) Yahoo Mindset - still a research project at yahoo, ranks the results on 2 basis namely research and market. Then depending upon the ratio of two selected by the user the results are displayed.
3) Google Suggestions and Google I am feeling lucky - While the former one provides the suggestions displaying some auto completions in drop down box, the latter directly takes you to the first result page.
4) Yahoo Instant searchresult - One can think as combination of google suggest and am feeling lucky. Since it shows the first result as dropbox with the link and a short description using AJAX.
5) MSN toolbar + Intellitext - This one provides the 2 features. first context based search on the basis of other opened files and browser windows and secondly secure search ( this sounds interesting since google search is not secure :( ).